In term three, YWCA Canberra Clubhouse Coordinator and Richardson Primary School Indigenous Education Officer will be co-developing and co-delivering a program with Clubhouse members and Richardson Primary School Students to support their participation in the Schools Reconciliation Challenge.
The Schools Reconciliation Challenge is organised through Reconciliation NSW and is an annual art and writing competition for young people across NSW and the ACT. The theme for this year’s Schools Reconciliation Challenge is Speaking and Listening from the Heart. This program will support participants to connect with themselves to discover their identities (heart) and to practice ways to speak and listen from the heart, all through an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander lens.
These are the following aims of the program:
- Learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history
- Explore identity through storytelling, art, and writing
- Understand and value the diversity of others
- Reflect on own connection to and responsibility in reconciliation
- Submit an artwork or piece of writing to the Schools Reconciliation Challenge Competition
Reconciliation is a central aspect to the learning and programming at the Clubhouse. Our relationship with Richardson Primary School continues to be a meaningful and important connection for our members to connect with and learn form their community. We are very excited to see the continued connections and learning with this program.