YWCA Canberra is hosting a prom for young people across Canberra aged 12-25 who identify as LGBTQIA+ and their allies.
Now in its third year, the LGBTQIA+ & Allies Prom is an opportunity for young people to experience a formal style event and express their identity in a safe, supportive, and non-judgmental environment. This free event will be held at the Ainslie Football Club on Thursday 8 November and is strictly drug and alcohol free.
Venue: Ainslie Football Club 52 Wakefield Ave, Ainslie ACT 2602
Cost: $60 (Our aim is for Young People to be able to attend for free.)
To ensure this event is completely free and accessible for all young people aged 12-25 years to attend, we are calling on the community to help us by sponsoring a ticket for a young person to attend.
Last year, through the incredible generosity of our community we were able to ensure that all Young People were able to attend the prom free of charge. We want to do this again!
If you would like any further information, or need help with registration, please contact YWCA Canberra Youth Programs Team Leader, Ciara Duggan, at Ciara.Duggan@ywca-canberra.org.au
If you want to sponsor a ticket, or you’re a young person aged 12-25 years wanting to attend you can use the links below.
LGBTQIA & Allies Prom Awards
Nominations are now open for the LGBTQIA+ & Allies Prom Awards. YWCA Canberra knows that there are some exceptional young people in our community and we want to give them the
recognition they deserve. These awards will be presented at our third Annual LGBTQIA+ & Allies Prom.
We are encouraging you to nominate exceptional youth aged 12-25 in the following categories:
- LGBTQIA+ young leader for a young person who is showing leadership skills in the LGBTQIA+ community
- Contribution to the community for a young person who is contributing to the LGBTQIA+ community
- Contribution through volunteering in the LGBTQIA+ community for a young person who is volunteering as part of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Advocacy for the LGBTQIA+ community for a young person taking on an advocacy role within the LGBTQIA+ community
- Young LGBTQIA+ mentor for a young person who is taking on a mentoring role in the community.
To nominate a young person, tell us in 250 words or less why you think this young person should be nominated for this category.
Nominations should include: The category/s plus the –
- nominated young person’s preferred name
- nominated young person’s preferred pronoun
- nominated young person’s contact details
- nominators name and contact details.
**young people will be notified of their nomination prior to the event.
Nominations can be sent to ciára.email@example.com.
Nominations will be assessed by panel of LGBTQIA+ & Allies Prom partners and awards will be presented at the 2018 YWCA Canberra LGBTQIA+ & Allies Prom on Thursday 8 November.