Fun day in STEAM
The YWCA Canberra Clubhouse is an innovative, creative, out-of-school learning space where young people from undeserved communities can work with adult mentors to develop new skills, explore their own ideas, and build confidence in themselves in the areas of science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM).
On Monday 19 March, the Clubhouse launched St Anthony Primary School’s STEAM week by leading a ‘Fun in STEAM’ day. For this we transported 13 engaging activities from the Clubhouse to the school’s hall ready for a day of exploration and fun. Over 400 students attend St Anthony Primary School, and each were introduced to the various activities and were given the opportunity to learn about, and participate in the ones that excited them the most.
The activities available were:
- block code or draw your way through a maze with a Sphero
- code your robot to battle your friend with Lego Mindstorms
- capture nature’s beauty with macro botanical Photography
- mix your own track with the Synthesizer
- jam your own rhythm with Djembe Drumming
- discover how lava lamps works with a Science Experiment
- compete with your friends in the ultimate Paper Plane Competition
- problem solve your way through Tricky Puzzles
- design your own Button Badge
- create a masterpiece with Watercolour Painting
- build a transformer, spacecraft, or roller-coaster with Lego
- challenge your friends to a math of Connect 4
- transport in time with the help of the Green Screen.
The day was assisted by year 6 leaders. These students were stationed around the hall at different activities and were taught the logistics of each activity. With this expertise, the leaders could help guide the other students through the activity, troubleshoot issues, and answer questions. The leadership shown by this group allowed for a smooth day with each student being enthusiastically helpful. We couldn’t have done it without them.
At the Clubhouse, we value connecting with the community and allowing as many young people as possible the opportunity to explore all that the Clubhouse offers. The Clubhouse Coordinator is now communicating with other local school to offer more days like this where young people can be inspired, engage with the resources and equipment, and learn more about the program.
If you would like to arrange a similar event for your school, visit the Clubhouse, or learn more about the program, please get in contact with the Clubhouse Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch the Sphero be coded through the maze.
Watch these Lego Mindstorms battle.